St. Ioannis on Read more [...]
Located on the islet Panaghia (Madonna) at the entrance of the port of Gaios with a focal height of 26m. The lighthouse consists of a square style tower 7.8 m. tall and it includes a house for the lighthouse’s personnel. It first-opened in 1825 operating with olive oil. The mechanism was replaced in 1890 with that of the lighthouse of Lakka which operated with oil, emitting a constant white light with a green field and a luminescence of 6 and 9 nm respectively. The operation was interrupted during World War II, and in 1946 it worked again with oil as a monitored lighthouse. In 1982 the operation was automated and was converted to solar energy, emitting characteristically one flash per 5 ” with luminescence 10 nm.