Paxos Island – General Information
Paxos the smallest island of Eftanison. Located approximately 7 nautical miles from the southern part of Corfu, it is respectively 12 miles from the port of Parga. It is considered one of the most cosmopolitan islands in Greece, since each year it attracts thousands of tourists from every part of the globe. Because of its geomorphology it has been described as the ideal destination for yachts and boats.
The complex of Paxos consists by beautiful islets and islands. The two largest are the Paxos with an area of 29 square kilometers. Antipaxoi are an exotic area of 3 square km. This small island is located 3 nautical miles the main port of Paxos Gaios.
According to the mythology, the king of the 7 seas, god Poseidon detached the southern part of Corfu striking it with his trident, resulting in the formation of Paxos. So he created a love nest, remote from humans and gods, to him and his mistress, the Niriida Amphitrite. This is why the island is symbolized by the trident between two dolphins in turn to symbolize the strong marine fauna thatsurrounds Paxos. This natural beauty and attractions, are the elements that make them unique Paxos.
Gaios is the island’s capital, is one of the most beautiful harbors in Greece.
- The church of the Holy Apostles (behind the bus stop)
- The cisterns of the Holy Apostles (near the church)
- The Holy Anargyron Sterna (near the church)
- The monastery of Panagia (in one of the two islands off Gaios)
- The castle of St. Nicholas (the other island across from Gaios)
- The Folklore Museum of Paxos
- The English governorate (Old port)
- The Sternes Eleousa (Vlachopoulatika)
- The cliffs of Mousmouli (Tranakatika)
- The Mill Lesianiti (Tranakatika)
- The early Christian church (in the port of Ozias)
- The statue of Anemogiannis
- The Ostries, A point of view for sunset and the Avlaki Beach
Lakka is the second port, like the vegetation and lake reaches almost the sea by turquoise waters.
The picturesque Loggos, on the south side of the island, is a colorful harbor.
In the center of the island is the area Magazia which took its name from the shops that were gathered in.
- The Kastanida area (after elementary school)
- The view of the cliffs (left after the petrol station shops, the Direction to Lakka)
- The Erimitis Beach (left after the petrol station shops, the Direction to Lakka)
- The Cisterns of Sarakinos
- The Saint Isaurian Church
- The old olive press museum
These are some indicative attractions on the island of Paxos. On our site you will find information on all the attractions, beaches and businesses on the island.
About Paxos Map
Paxos-map is a travel guide for Paxos which is available in a digital and paper format, designed to meet every need for information on the island. Its main purpose is to provide useful information serving other tourists and the local community.